lack of battery health & charging info on your iPad

1 view

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 1, 2023, 9:42:21 PM3/1/23

Isn’t it funny iPad users who spent tons of money are denied the feedback
on battery health iPhone users have? Why is that?

When I click on that on the expensive iPhone I bought I get instant
feedback. But the expensive iPad I bought lacks such feedback because piece
of shit Tim Cook denied that info to me. I spend money but scumbags like
nospam and Jolly Roger deny me needing access to crucial info because they
know better than I what I should have access to. Fuck Tim Cook, nospam, and
Jolly Roger.

Jolly Roger

Mar 1, 2023, 11:07:20 PM3/1/23
On 2023-03-02, *Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> Isn’t it funny iPad users who spent tons of money are denied the feedback
> on battery health iPhone users have? Why is that?

What's even funnier is that the rest of us have been using iPads for
years and years without needing feedback on our battery health. You come
across as extremely neurotic and needy. You should probably get a hobby.

JR

Joerg Lorenz

Mar 2, 2023, 4:14:48 AM3/2/23
Am 02.03.23 um 03:42 schrieb *Hemidactylus*:
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid>: You are a pathological case
and a ridiculous figure. Even more so than your friends HR and AB.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Chris

Mar 2, 2023, 7:35:40 AM3/2/23
His tone is ridiculous, but the point still remains: Why don't ipads have a
battery health indicator ipadOS like there is for iphones in iOS? Even Macs
have that information. So ipads are explicitly excluded.

badgolferman

Mar 2, 2023, 9:52:38 AM3/2/23
Chris wrote:

>His tone is ridiculous, but the point still remains: Why don't ipads
>have a battery health indicator ipadOS like there is for iphones in
>iOS? Even Macs have that information. So ipads are explicitly
>excluded.

"Not needed" and "no one wants it".

News

Mar 2, 2023, 11:24:25 AM3/2/23
National Sample of No One?

sms

Mar 2, 2023, 12:00:48 PM3/2/23
LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls. Except of
course it is needed and people do want it!

The fact that there's a jailbreak tweak for iPadOS in order to get that
capability is sufficient evidence that a significant number of people do
want it, see
<https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/mouttb/free_release_batteryhealthenableripadipod_enable/>.

How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue? It
wouldn't cost anything to add this capability to the iPad. Enough people
complained when the battery percentage indicator was removed that Apple
brought it back so perhaps there's some hope for the iPad to get a
battery health indicator, since the necessary hardware must be there in
order for the jailbreak tweak to work.

OTOH, it could be a marketing decision to not include it, in the belief
that an iPad owner that is experiencing reduced operating time will buy
a new iPad, unaware that a battery replacement will solve the issue.

"People don't know what they want until you show it to them." Steve Jobs

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 12:06:44 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqknu$bdt7$2...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> His tone is ridiculous, but the point still remains: Why don't ipads
> >> have a battery health indicator ipadOS like there is for iphones in
> >> iOS? Even Macs have that information. So ipads are explicitly
> >> excluded.
> >
> > "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>
> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls.

nobody said that. your attempt at spinning things has failed.

> Except of
> course it is needed and people do want it!

some do, some don't. most people don't even know iphones have it.

> The fact that there's a jailbreak tweak for iPadOS in order to get that
> capability is sufficient evidence that a significant number of people do
> want it,

jailbreak tweaks are not an indication of anything other than one
person wanted to write something.

> How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
> battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue?

by checking the battery health with an app. it's *very* easy to do.

it's odd that ipads don't have the ability without using an app, but
nobody outside of apple knows why that is.

> OTOH, it could be a marketing decision to not include it, in the belief
> that an iPad owner that is experiencing reduced operating time will buy
> a new iPad, unaware that a battery replacement will solve the issue.

massive conspiracy theory that doesn't have any basis in reality.

people having problems with a device are likely to buy a competitor's
device, versus another of the same and hoping they don't have more
problems.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 12:07:45 PM3/2/23
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Isn˘t it funny iPad users who spent tons of money are denied the feedback
>> on battery health iPhone users have? Why is that?
>
> What's even funnier is that the rest of us have been using iPads for
> years and years without needing feedback on our battery health. You come
> across as extremely neurotic and needy. You should probably get a hobby.

My older iPad is shutting down a lot when it's cold inside the house.

I could use an easy battery health feedback on the iPad but I tried what
you suggested and it didn't work for me either so something is wrong.
--
Please wear your mask!
Bugs are everywhere. :)

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 12:10:13 PM3/2/23
In article <ttql4r$20t7v$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Bugsy
<bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

> My older iPad is shutting down a lot when it's cold inside the house.

turn on the heat.

> I could use an easy battery health feedback on the iPad

there are apps for mac & windows, or just take it to an apple store and
have them run a full suite of diagnostics.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 12:12:13 PM3/2/23
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/2023 6:52 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>
>>> His tone is ridiculous, but the point still remains: Why don't ipads
>>> have a battery health indicator ipadOS like there is for iphones in
>>> iOS? Even Macs have that information. So ipads are explicitly
>>> excluded.
>>
>> "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>
> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls. Except of
> course it is needed and people do want it!

I need it and I want it.
My iPad is older and when it gets cold in the house, it shuts down.
I'd like an easy way to check the battery health status on the iPad itself.

> The fact that there's a jailbreak tweak for iPadOS in order to get that
> capability is sufficient evidence that a significant number of people do
> want it, see
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/mouttb/free_release_batteryhealthenableripadipod_enable/>.

How many people are going to jailbreak their iPads?
Not me.

I could brick the iPad more likely than succeed in jailbreaking it.

Even if I did, Apple would break the jailbreak in the next patches.

> How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
> battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue?

Mine says it's 0% when it's cold inside the house.
When I warm it up, it says 100%.
It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.

> "People don't know what they want until you show it to them." Steve Jobs

I want to know the battery health status of my iPad on the iPad.
Without jailbreaking (because I'm never going to jailbreak anything).

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 12:16:24 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqldb$20u9r$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Bugsy
<bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

> Mine says it's 0% when it's cold inside the house.
> When I warm it up, it says 100%.

based on that, it's not good.

> It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.

then use one of several apps to find out.

it's not as convenient as having it in settings but it's not a big deal
in the grand scheme of things.

Calum

Mar 2, 2023, 12:17:41 PM3/2/23
On 02/03/2023 12:6, nospam wrote:

>>> "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>>
>> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls.
>
> nobody said that. your attempt at spinning things has failed.

They are wrong.
You are right.

What you said was that there *is* a battery health status setting on the
iPad but only *you* know where but you are never going to say where it is.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 12:20:19 PM3/2/23
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.
>
> then use one of several apps to find out.

Which apps please. I'll try it.

Jolly Roger

Mar 2, 2023, 12:24:55 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> > "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>>
>> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls.
>
> nobody said that. your attempt at spinning things has failed.
>
>> Except of course it is needed and people do want it!
>
> some do, some don't. most people don't even know iphones have it.

I'll wager most people don't waste time worrying about and babysitting
their batteries in the first place. When their battery no longer lasts
as long as they wish it would, they simply replace it. I have no doubt
the Battery Health display is probably misunderstood and misused by a
lot of people who grow downright obsessive over it rather than using it
as intended.

sms

Mar 2, 2023, 12:46:37 PM3/2/23
On 3/2/2023 9:12 AM, Bugsy wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>>> "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>>
>> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls. Except of
>> course it is needed and people do want it!
>
> I need it and I want it.
> My iPad is older and when it gets cold in the house, it shuts down.
> I'd like an easy way to check the battery health status on the iPad itself.
>
>> The fact that there's a jailbreak tweak for iPadOS in order to get that
>> capability is sufficient evidence that a significant number of people do
>> want it, see
>> <https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/mouttb/free_release_batteryhealthenableripadipod_enable/>.
>
> How many people are going to jailbreak their iPads?
> Not me.

Very few. But if it's a question of buying a new iPad versus checking if
the battery needs to be replaced, perhaps you'd be willing to do the
jailbreak (if it's even possible since with each revision of iOS it
becomes more difficult to jailbreak).

> Even if I did, Apple would break the jailbreak in the next patches.

That's true, but you just need to check the battery health once. If the
jailbreak goes away in a future revision then it's no big deal.

>> How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
>> battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue?
>
> Mine says it's 0% when it's cold inside the house.
> When I warm it up, it says 100%.
> It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.
>
>> "People don't know what they want until you show it to them." Steve Jobs
>
> I want to know the battery health status of my iPad on the iPad.
> Without jailbreaking (because I'm never going to jailbreak anything).

You could try running one of the battery test apps from the App store.
It's not as accurate as how the device measures battery health though.
Apple has a patent on their method:
<https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110089907>.

sms

Mar 2, 2023, 12:49:14 PM3/2/23
On 3/2/2023 9:20 AM, Bugsy wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.
>>
>> then use one of several apps to find out.
>
> Which apps please. I'll try it.

Here's one: <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-testing/id887730232>.

But understand that the way that iOS determines battery health includes
the hardware measuring the impedance of the battery. As the impedance
goes up battery life decreases. There is no way that an app can
duplicate this.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 1:04:03 PM3/2/23

>>> then use one of several apps to find out.
>>
>> Which apps please. I'll try it.
>
> Here's one: <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-testing/id887730232>.

Thank you for that suggestion which I immediately installed & tested out.

After the notification request and theme request (you can only select "OK"
or "later" on the theme) it had a "Start Testing" button and then a big red
screen came up saying "The test could not be started because your device is
fully charged."

> But understand that the way that iOS determines battery health includes
> the hardware measuring the impedance of the battery.

On the bottom was a "System" selection for a "System Monitor" which has a
"Battery" section saying the "Battery Capacity" is 8612mAh and the "Battery
Voltage" is 3.77V and the "Battery Status" is Fully Charged and the
"Battery Level" is 100% but that's all it tells me. No impedences listed.

> As the impedance
> goes up battery life decreases. There is no way that an app can
> duplicate this.

Do you know which of the pc apps might do the test with a charged battery?

Jolly Roger

Mar 2, 2023, 1:41:41 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02, Bugsy <bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>>> "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>>
>> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls. Except
>> of course it is needed and people do want it!
>
> I need it and I want it. My iPad is older and when it gets cold in
> the house, it shuts down. I'd like an easy way to check the battery
> health status on the iPad itself.

Seeing an estimate (and yes, it's only an estimate) of battery health
isn't going to change anything. You already know your battery doesn't
perform as well as when it was new.

sms

Mar 2, 2023, 2:06:05 PM3/2/23
No way to do that. These tests are empirical, measuring time to charge
and then time to discharge.

Chris

Mar 2, 2023, 2:22:04 PM3/2/23
Bugsy <bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

>>> Which apps please. I'll try it.
>>
>> Here's one: <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-testing/id887730232>.
>
> Thank you for that suggestion which I immediately installed & tested out.
>
> After the notification request and theme request (you can only select "OK"
> or "later" on the theme) it had a "Start Testing" button and then a big red
> screen came up saying "The test could not be started because your device is
> fully charged."

D'oh

>> But understand that the way that iOS determines battery health includes
>> the hardware measuring the impedance of the battery.
>
> On the bottom was a "System" selection for a "System Monitor" which has a
> "Battery" section saying the "Battery Capacity" is 8612mAh and the "Battery
> Voltage" is 3.77V and the "Battery Status" is Fully Charged and the
> "Battery Level" is 100% but that's all it tells me. No impedences listed.

So nothing useful. You'd need to know what a new capacity and voltage were
before you can say anything.

Chris

Mar 2, 2023, 2:22:05 PM3/2/23
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> "Not needed" and "no one wants it".
>>
>> LOL, that was a stock answer from one of our favorite trolls.
>
> nobody said that. your attempt at spinning things has failed.
>
>> Except of
>> course it is needed and people do want it!
>
> some do, some don't. most people don't even know iphones have it.
>
>> The fact that there's a jailbreak tweak for iPadOS in order to get that
>> capability is sufficient evidence that a significant number of people do
>> want it,
>
> jailbreak tweaks are not an indication of anything other than one
> person wanted to write something.
>
>> How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
>> battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue?
>
> by checking the battery health with an app. it's *very* easy to do.

It's very hard to mention the name of one of these so called apps, however.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 3:09:01 PM3/2/23
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> Do you know which of the pc apps might do the test with a charged battery?
>
> No way to do that. These tests are empirical, measuring time to charge
> and then time to discharge.

I'll let it discharge. How low should I let it go?
Then which pc apps can you suggest I use to test the battery health status?

sms

Mar 2, 2023, 3:29:41 PM3/2/23
On 3/2/2023 12:09 PM, Bugsy wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Do you know which of the pc apps might do the test with a charged battery?
>>
>> No way to do that. These tests are empirical, measuring time to charge
>> and then time to discharge.
>
> I'll let it discharge. How low should I let it go?
> Then which pc apps can you suggest I use to test the battery health status?

PC apps?

I thought you wanted to test the iPad battery. I posted one such app
earlier. I've never used it but it is highly rated. It just can't do
what the built in battery health testing can do.

Alan Browne

Mar 2, 2023, 3:42:23 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02 15:09, Bugsy wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Do you know which of the pc apps might do the test with a charged battery?
>>
>> No way to do that. These tests are empirical, measuring time to charge
>> and then time to discharge.
>
> I'll let it discharge. How low should I let it go?

From time to time there is no problem letting it go to 0% - because
that "zero" is well above the battery "physical zero".

Letting it get to 0% will also improve the future indication of charge
level by giving the battery charge algo new data points. I manage that
by circumstances or accident at least a couple times per year...

Generally avoid less than 20% charge though.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Hank Rogers

Mar 2, 2023, 3:44:54 PM3/2/23
Probably impossible. But maybe nospam could develop a new app that
does the job perfectly.

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 4:22:10 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqlsh$20vr8$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Bugsy
<bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

> >> It's old but I would still like to know the battery health status.
> >
> > then use one of several apps to find out.
>
> Which apps please. I'll try it.

imazing and coconut battery are two. the former has a windows version.

<https://i.insider.com/6218514dd80ca400192d1045>

<https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
bigsur_menubar_light.png>
<https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
bigsur_history.png>

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 4:22:10 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqnio$bqfm$2...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> But understand that the way that iOS determines battery health includes
> the hardware measuring the impedance of the battery. As the impedance
> goes up battery life decreases. There is no way that an app can
> duplicate this.

as usual, you are wrong.

battery health is reported by the controller on the battery itself.
apps only need to query it.

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 4:22:12 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqs2s$c9nk$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Do you know which of the pc apps might do the test with a charged battery?
>
> No way to do that.

wrong. see other posts.

> These tests are empirical, measuring time to charge
> and then time to discharge.

those are the wrong tests.

stop pretending to know what you're talking about, because you do not.

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 4:22:13 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqlnj$20v6q$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Calum
<com....@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> What you said was that there *is* a battery health status setting on the
> iPad but only *you* know where but you are never going to say where it is.

nobody said that, certainly not me.

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 4:22:14 PM3/2/23
In article <ttqt0r$cdag$2...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> How else is an iPad users going to know whether or not a problem with
> >> battery life is an actual battery problem, or some other issue?
> >
> > by checking the battery health with an app. it's *very* easy to do.
>
> It's very hard to mention the name of one of these so called apps, however.

nobody asked what they were until earlier today. see other post for
specifics.

Chris

Mar 2, 2023, 5:49:07 PM3/2/23
So you need a separate device to check the battery? Very odd.

Bugsy

Mar 2, 2023, 6:24:09 PM3/2/23
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> I'll let it discharge. How low should I let it go?
>> Then which pc apps can you suggest I use to test the battery health status?
>
> PC apps?

The other fellow who said that the battery health status was on the ipad
waffled later on that but he said there were pc apps that do check the
battery health of the iPad (presumably using the impedence method).

> I thought you wanted to test the iPad battery. I posted one such app
> earlier. I've never used it but it is highly rated. It just can't do
> what the built in battery health testing can do.

The other fellow said it was on the pc too.

Here is what the other fellow said.

I'm just trying to find that pc app he's talking about.

Do you know what pc app he is saying I should use to check the battery
health status on my iPad?

gtr

Mar 2, 2023, 6:53:55 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02 22:49:05 +0000, Chris said:

>>> Which apps please. I'll try it.
>>
>> imazing and coconut battery are two. the former has a windows version.
>>
>> <https://i.insider.com/6218514dd80ca400192d1045>
>>
>> <https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
>> bigsur_menubar_light.png>
>> <https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
>> bigsur_history.png>
>
> So you need a separate device to check the battery? Very odd.

Not only do you need a separate device, but iMazing is 201.17 MB after
being installed on the Windows PC and it brings along a bunch of daemons.
https://imazing.com/guides/how-to-check-iphone-ipad-battery-health-and-diagnostics

Coconut doesn't work on the Windows PC.
https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Jolly Roger

Mar 2, 2023, 6:59:57 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>>> imazing and coconut battery are two. the former has a windows
>>> version.
>>>
>>> <https://i.insider.com/6218514dd80ca400192d1045>
>>>
>>> <https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
>>> bigsur_menubar_light.png>
>>> <https://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/assets/img/BigSur/3.9.2_
>>> bigsur_history.png>
>>
>> So you need a separate device to check the battery? Very odd.
>
> Not only do you need a separate device, but iMazing is 201.17 MB after
> being installed on the Windows PC

A whole 200 megabytes?!? Oh, my! : D

> and it brings along a bunch of daemons.

Nah, just one daemon is responsible for battery monitoring.

You're just looking for any old reason to shoot it down.

nospam

Mar 2, 2023, 7:03:55 PM3/2/23
In article <k6crjr...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Not only do you need a separate device, but iMazing is 201.17 MB after
> > being installed on the Windows PC
>
> A whole 200 megabytes?!? Oh, my! : D

eight (8) terabyte drives are currently around ~$100, so that's a
whopping 1/4 of a cent in storage costs.

> > and it brings along a bunch of daemons.
>
> Nah, just one daemon is responsible for battery monitoring.

and idle if nothing is connected.

> You're just looking for any old reason to shoot it down.

yep.

gtr

Mar 2, 2023, 7:24:21 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02 23:59:56 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

>> and it brings along a bunch of daemons.
>
> Nah, just one daemon is responsible for battery monitoring.

It added three.

gtr

Mar 2, 2023, 7:24:48 PM3/2/23
On 2023-03-02 16:03:53 +0000, nospam said:

>>> Not only do you need a separate device, but iMazing is 201.17 MB after
>>> being installed on the Windows PC
>>
>> A whole 200 megabytes?!? Oh, my! : D
>
> eight (8) terabyte drives are currently around ~$100, so that's a
> whopping 1/4 of a cent in storage costs.

Whoosh.

sms

Mar 3, 2023, 8:50:42 PM3/3/23
On 3/2/2023 3:24 PM, Bugsy wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'll let it discharge. How low should I let it go?
>>> Then which pc apps can you suggest I use to test the battery health status?
>>
>> PC apps?
>
> The other fellow who said that the battery health status was on the ipad
> waffled later on that but he said there were pc apps that do check the
> battery health of the iPad (presumably using the impedence method).
>
>> I thought you wanted to test the iPad battery. I posted one such app
>> earlier. I've never used it but it is highly rated. It just can't do
>> what the built in battery health testing can do.
>
> The other fellow said it was on the pc too.
>
> Here is what the other fellow said.
>
> I'm just trying to find that pc app he's talking about.
>
> Do you know what pc app he is saying I should use to check the battery
> health status on my iPad?

LOL, nospam makes up a lot of stuff and never uses cites or references.
Forget it. There is no way to measure the impedance of an iPad battery
using a Windows PC.

nospam

Mar 3, 2023, 9:56:35 PM3/3/23
In article <ttu85d$pfhc$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> LOL, nospam makes up a lot of stuff and never uses cites or references.

talking about yourself again.

> Forget it. There is no way to measure the impedance of an iPad battery
> using a Windows PC.

as usual, you're moving the goalposts. nobody said anything about
measuring the impedance of a battery.

the question is *battery* *health* (related, but not the same thing),
and there *are* ways to determine it from a mac or windows pc.

specific apps were mentioned, so you're wrong twice.

Bugsy

Mar 3, 2023, 10:09:34 PM3/3/23
I think what he was saying is that he can get battery information on the
iPad using an app or program but to get the kind of impedance based battery
health status that the iPhone gets, there's no way for the iPad to get it.

Even with an iOS app or pc or mac program.
Is that right?

If so, the best I can do is use the iOS apps or pc program but before I
install them, it would be best to know the answer to that question of what
I'm getting in terms of accurate useful information compared to iPhones.

nospam

Mar 3, 2023, 11:26:01 PM3/3/23
In article <ttucpb$2mdsc$1...@paganini.bofh.team>, Bugsy
<bu...@zimage.comBUGSY> wrote:

> > In article <ttu85d$pfhc$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
> > <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> Forget it. There is no way to measure the impedance of an iPad battery
> >> using a Windows PC.
> >
> > as usual, you're moving the goalposts. nobody said anything about
> > measuring the impedance of a battery.
> >
> > the question is *battery* *health* (related, but not the same thing),
> > and there *are* ways to determine it from a mac or windows pc.
> >
> > specific apps were mentioned, so you're wrong twice.
>
> I think what he was saying is that he can get battery information on the
> iPad using an app or program but to get the kind of impedance based battery
> health status that the iPhone gets, there's no way for the iPad to get it.

more goalpost movement.

> Even with an iOS app or pc or mac program.
> Is that right?

no.

> If so, the best I can do is use the iOS apps or pc program but before I
> install them, it would be best to know the answer to that question of what
> I'm getting in terms of accurate useful information compared to iPhones.

battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.

for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
and macs (and presumably ipod touches).

Ant

Mar 4, 2023, 8:51:18 AM3/4/23
In misc.phone.mobile.iphone nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > If so, the best I can do is use the iOS apps or pc program but before I
> > install them, it would be best to know the answer to that question of what
> > I'm getting in terms of accurate useful information compared to iPhones.

> battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.

> for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
> displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
> and macs (and presumably ipod touches).

I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.
--
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation." --Colossians 1:15. Finally, warm sun 4 da 3-body colony to go out 2 forage/shop, move, eat, cut hairs, less humans, etc. yesterday. No rain 4 a couple wks.? No naps 4 days 2.
| |o o| |

Alan Browne

Mar 4, 2023, 11:09:11 AM3/4/23
On 2023-03-04 08:51, Ant wrote:
> In misc.phone.mobile.iphone nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> If so, the best I can do is use the iOS apps or pc program but before I
>>> install them, it would be best to know the answer to that question of what
>>> I'm getting in terms of accurate useful information compared to iPhones.
>
>> battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.
>
>> for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
>> displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
>> and macs (and presumably ipod touches).
>
> I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.

More perverse is the lack of the Apple calculator app.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 4, 2023, 12:07:19 PM3/4/23
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.
>>
>>> for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
>>> displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
>>> and macs (and presumably ipod touches).
>>
>> I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.
>
> More perverse is the lack of the Apple calculator app.

Why would anyone want to do calculations on an iPad?

Alan Browne

Mar 4, 2023, 12:32:31 PM3/4/23
I know, I know. Complete lunacy. Overreach. Like not respecting it.

sms

Mar 4, 2023, 1:54:38 PM3/4/23
On 3/4/2023 5:51 AM, Ant wrote:
> In misc.phone.mobile.iphone nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>> If so, the best I can do is use the iOS apps or pc program but before I
>>> install them, it would be best to know the answer to that question of what
>>> I'm getting in terms of accurate useful information compared to iPhones.
>
>> battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.
>
>> for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
>> displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
>> and macs (and presumably ipod touches).
>
> I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.

At first I thought that perhaps that the iPad lacks the necessary
hardware to measure the battery impedance. Then I saw that there's a
jailbreak tweak for the iPad that adds Battery Health. I suppose that
it's possible that that tweak doesn't include measuring the impedance of
the battery and only looks at factors like the number of
charge/discharge cycles and the time since the device was first used.

There could also be factors related to sales and marketing
considerations. If the owner was aware that the reason for performance
and runtime could be the battery then they might be more likely to opt
for battery replacement than buying a new iPad.

nospam

Mar 4, 2023, 1:57:48 PM3/4/23
In article <tu0459$11p1d$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> At first I thought that perhaps that the iPad lacks the necessary
> hardware to measure the battery impedance.

the *battery* reports overall battery health (not specifically
impedance, which you're trying to use as a diversion).

> Then I saw that there's a
> jailbreak tweak for the iPad that adds Battery Health. I suppose that
> it's possible that that tweak doesn't include measuring the impedance of
> the battery and only looks at factors like the number of
> charge/discharge cycles and the time since the device was first used.

you suppose a lot, most of which is not true.

> There could also be factors related to sales and marketing
> considerations. If the owner was aware that the reason for performance
> and runtime could be the battery then they might be more likely to opt
> for battery replacement than buying a new iPad.

that's an easily debunked conspiracy theory.

Jolly Roger

Mar 4, 2023, 2:17:24 PM3/4/23
On 2023-03-04, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> If the owner was aware that the reason for performance and runtime
> could be the battery then they might be more likely to opt for battery
> replacement than buying a new iPad.

"Gee, my iPad's battery doesn't last as long as it used to, but since
there is no "Battery Health" displayed, I guess I'll just throw my iPad
away and spend hundreds more to get a new device rather than having its
batter replaced."

Sure, sure.

Bugsy

Mar 4, 2023, 2:34:49 PM3/4/23
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.
>
> At first I thought that perhaps that the iPad lacks the necessary
> hardware to measure the battery impedance. Then I saw that there's a
> jailbreak tweak for the iPad that adds Battery Health. I suppose that
> it's possible that that tweak doesn't include measuring the impedance of
> the battery and only looks at factors like the number of
> charge/discharge cycles and the time since the device was first used.
>
> There could also be factors related to sales and marketing
> considerations. If the owner was aware that the reason for performance
> and runtime could be the battery then they might be more likely to opt
> for battery replacement than buying a new iPad.

If battery impedance is used for the iPad health tests, by every right the
battery impedance tests should be used for the iPad also.

Can you take a look at my test results to let me know if you think that
important battery impedance testing method was used by the PC program?

Green battery icon shows charging lightning bolt and 100%
Your battery health is poor. 34% (inside an orange circle)
Technical Data
Battery Current Charge: 1859 mAh (88.2%)
Battery Design Max. Charge: 6274 mAh
Battery Effective Max. Charge: 2108 mAh (33.6%)
Battery Charge Cycles: 821
Battery Temperature: 26.2C/79.2F
Batterv State: Charging (-1.1 Watt)
Battery Instant Amperage: -287 mA
Battery Instant Voltage: 3991 mV
Battery At Warn Level: No
Battery At Critical Level: No
Battery Model: 0003-F
Battery Serial Number: FXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Battery Manufacturer: F
Battery Avg. Temperature 22.0C/71.6F
Battery Min. Temperature: 7.0C/44.6F
Battery Max. Temperature 47.8C/118.0F
Battery Max. Charge: 2148 mA
Battery Max. Discharge: -2478 mA
Charger: usb host
Charger Watts: 2
Charger Voltage: 5000 mV
Charger Amperage -500 mA
Low battery notification: Never

What to keep in mind
Battery Health refers to your battery's Effective Maximum Charge:

Health Capacity
Excellent: Battery can hold its full capacity
Good: Battery can hold between 90% and 99% of its original capacity
Average: Battery can hold between 80% and 89% of its original capacity
Poor: Battery can hold less than 80% of original capacity.
Consider replacing your battery.

Is this PC test of the iPad using the battery impedance testing methods
that the iPhone battery health monitor uses?

Ant

Mar 4, 2023, 9:51:45 PM3/4/23
In comp.mobile.ipad Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> >> battery health can be obtained by using a mac or windows app.
> >
> >> for some reason known only to apple, battery health can't currently be
> >> displayed on the ipad itself, whereas it can be displayed on iphones
> >> and macs (and presumably ipod touches).
> >
> > I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.

> More perverse is the lack of the Apple calculator app.

That too!
--
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." --Proverbs 19:2. Winter is back, but without its annoying rain & winds. No naps 4 days 2 make this old ant pass out & wake up very early like 10 PM to 5 AM.

Ant

Mar 4, 2023, 9:52:47 PM3/4/23
Why not? People with bad eyes like elders. Also, iPads can do fancy
calculators.

--
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." --Proverbs 19:2. Winter is back, but without its annoying rain & winds. No naps 4 days 2 make this old ant pass out & wake up very early like 10 PM to 5 AM.

nospam

Mar 4, 2023, 9:58:36 PM3/4/23
In article <3M-dnV0NGr1unpn5...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > Why would anyone want to do calculations on an iPad?
>
> Why not? People with bad eyes like elders. Also, iPads can do fancy
> calculators.

elders learned math before there were calculators, including memorizing
multiplication tables.

do it in yer head, and get off my lawn.

sms

Mar 5, 2023, 5:37:16 PM3/5/23
On 3/4/2023 6:51 PM, Ant wrote:
> In comp.mobile.ipad Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> I never understood why Apple did this. Same for its missing weather iOS app in iPads.
>
>> More perverse is the lack of the Apple calculator app.
>
> That too!

Strange, but there are calculator apps available.

Ant

Mar 5, 2023, 7:40:03 PM3/5/23
Yeah, iPhones comes with their own apps and not needing third parties.
--
"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true--even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life." --1 John 5:20. Coldy, wety, nappy, leaky, sneeezy, & itchy body again. :(